Celebrate Black History Month!
Read Aloud with The Trenton Literacy Movement Inc. and
their partners at the Trenton Kappa Foundation and Culture is K.E.Y.
Read Aloud is a unique online reading initiative that exposes early readers to children’s books to inspire a lifelong love of reading.
The videos feature colorful and informative children’s books written primarily by African American authors and read by local community leaders with sound effects provided by Culture is K.E.Y. Most of the books were read and filmed on location in the historic Trenton Public Library Children’s Room.
Edward Bullock, President of The Trenton Literacy Movement, Inc., introduces the “Read Aloud” initiative created in partnership with the Trenton Kappa Foundation and Culture is K.E.Y.
Click the links below to watch individual readings
- Edward Bullock, President of The Trenton Literacy Movement introduces the Read Aloud initiative
- Sit-In: How Four Friends Stood Up by Sitting Down, Read by Ryan Harris
- I am Enough, Read by Eric Bullock
- A Picture Book of Martin Luther King, Jr., Read by Carl Gibbs, Jr.
- Rita and the Fire Fighters, Read by Walter Drew Smith
- Preaching to the Chickens, Read by Palmer Richardson
- The Boy Who Didn’t Believe in Spring, Read by Lloyd Price
- Giant Hiccups, Read by Keith Wallace
- Kevin and His Dad, Read by Edward Bullock
- Grandfather and I, Read by Shawn Copeland
- Little Ley Ley’s “Tall Tales” Read by Ahyaams Walker
- What is a Rainbow? Read by Palmer Richardson
- Chicken Sunday, Read by Arthur Esaw
- Peenbuter Fudge, Read by Ahmanish Robinson
- Lorraine, the Girl who Sang the Storm Away, Read by Edward Bullock
The mission of The Trenton Literacy Movement, Inc. (TTLM) is to enable students in Trenton to read at grade level by 3rd grade. TTLM partners with schools, parents, the community, and funders to support after-school remedial interventions for elementary students in all Trenton public schools. TTLM’s Board of Trustees is made up of members of the Trenton and surrounding community. With the support of Partners representing individuals, foundations, and corporations, TTLM is able to provide literacy instruction at no cost to students in grades 1-3. TTLM is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization.
Culture is K.E.Y. is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization founded in 2020 by Eric G. Bullock, M.Ed, a lifelong educator and resident of Trenton, New Jersey. The organization was founded to build a personal and community-wide expectation of excellence for young men and women of color ages 6-18, while raising their self-confidence and self-worth through mentorship-based programming. Our programming is developed to build the knowledge of participants’ culture and access to excellence.
The Trenton Kappa Foundation is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization that raises money to support the Guide Right mentoring programs for Trenton Alumni Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi, scholarships and book award initiatives, local not-for-profit and other organizations that focus on the development of young males.