Funding from the Trenton Kappa Foundation goes to support Guide Right programs and initiatives that are administered, locally, by the Trenton Alumni Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Incorporated.
Guide Right is a program for the educational and occupational guidance of youth, primarily inspirational and informational in character. Its reach extends to high schools and colleges alike. The purpose of the Guide Right is to place the training experience and friendly interest of successful men at the disposal of youth needing inspiration and counsel regarding their choice of a life’s career, and to arouse the interest of the entire community in the problems of youth as they seek to realize lives of usefulness. The basic objectives of Guide Right are:
- To help youth in selection of courses leading to vocations compatible with their aptitudes and personalities.
- To assist students while they are in training, to get started in employment, and to progress successfully in their chosen fields.
- To assist parents in the handling of their children by giving them opportunities to talk over their problems with those who know and are successful in their chosen vocations.
- To afford the less fortunate youths a respite from the drudgery of the streets, through sponsored entertainment and cultural enrichment.
- To inform youth of the values of higher education, of assistance available for continued educational pursuits, scholarships, loans, professional counseling, fellowships, etc., of various occupational and professional opportunities, and of the current labor demands and the trends on the (1) effect of these demands and trends on the labor market, supply rewards, etc. and (2) requirements for obtaining employment, i.e. personal, scholastic, economic.
The Trenton Kappa Foundation and Kappa Alpha Psi’s commitment to young people is well established, and our Guide Right efforts, both individual and collective, can continue to serve as a mechanism to “inspire service in the public interest”.